Home » Currency Note » Currency Note » Currency Note GBP » GBP: Theresa May makes statement on Brussels summit

Another day, another Theresa May speech delivered to MPs. This time, it was on the recent Brussels summit and she said progress has been made on the withdrawal agreement and the future relationship between the UK and EU. According to her, there is agreement on 95% of the deal, but the remaining 5% includes how to guarantee no hard border in Ireland. She added that she is unwilling to accept a backstop that could create a customs border down the Irish Sea.

The EU is now willing to consider a temporary UK-EU customs territory for the backstop, but whether her cabinet will agree to the final proposals is still unclear. If they do, May will then face the problem of getting the bill through parliament. There are now five months left until the UK withdraws from the EU and 5% left of the deal to agree. The markets didn’t take kindly to the news and sterling suffered losses against the euro and dollar.

Today we have the CBI industrial trends orders for October and the business optimism index for the fourth quarter of 2018.

Find out how we can help you

Let us know a little more about your upcoming currency exchange needs. We aim to take the uncertainty away by providing guidance on which services suit your individual requirements. You can then rest, assured your money is not at the mercy of the currency markets.

Protect against risk

Avoid losing money and protect against currencies moving against you.

Dedicated trader

Dedicated currency trader working with you to get the best value for your money.

Secure and efficient transfers

Secure, quick and efficient transfers. Authorised by the FCA.

  • We handle your data with care and only ever as outlined in our Privacy Policy.

Keep up to date

Get regular, jargon-free currency market updates delivered directly to your inbox.

  • We handle your data with care and only ever as outlined in our Privacy Policy.

Refer a friend or business

Recommend our services to your friends, family or colleagues and earn great rewards.

You have Successfully Subscribed!